Sunday, September 4, 2016

My fish died...Now What?

I love fish! I'm still pretty new to being a fish owner but I've had a ton of fish in the last year and a few months.

It all began with my first Betta fish. I had walked into Petco in my town and saw this beautiful baby girl who was just as interested in me as I was interested in her! She was smaller that my thumb nail and such a dorky fish!!

I brought her home and had a tiny bowl for her. She was set in the kitchen where she could also the Dogs' food bowl. I fed her about the time that the dogs ate and she learned how to eat like a dog. She would look at her food as if it were her prey and then pounce after it. Not ever really eating it but totally grabbing her food and swishing her body back and forth like a dog. She is such a cutie.

Since then, I've collected more souls. About a month after I got her, I saved Ghost Prince. He was a very expensive betta fish but he was dying at the store. I felt empathy toward the fish and he looked at me, as if begging me to let him free. So, I brought him home. I somehow found magic that healed him and he lived for almost a year after the store.

Other fish that I currently have are 5 Goldfish, 4 Betta fish (including my original cutie pie whose name is Gyspy Lovely), 1 Plecostomus, and I'm hoping to get a few more.

But recently, like 3 days ago recently, I acquired 6 fish that half of whom have passed away!! That's crazy!!!

Well, now what?
I've compiled a list for you on what to do after you find a dead fish.


Step 1: Remove fish immediately!

If a dead fish were to remain in the fish tank with a bunch of other fish, you can be guaranteed that 
A) that fish will stink up the place because of toxin build up
B) Hazard to you and your fish. 

Step 2: Set the fish aside, immediately treat your tank.

You never know how long the fish may have been dead or how long the toxins from his/her body have been releasing by the minute. Also, just set the dead guy aside because by the time you get to him, he'll still be dead.

Step 3: Determine the best way to dispose of the body.

I got into a book series and by the third book was inspired by their burial process. In the book, there is an alien species that when they die, their body is transformed into a tree. They enter their "Third Life" as a tree and can then provide their tribe with resources, wisdom, and comfort under their branches.

I LOVE this idea that there is a "Third Life" but for my babies that have left their body behind on earth, I figured this would be their "Second Life" and they would help the seeds grow by giving their bodies as nutrition for plants. So far, I have a Lemon plant and several flowers.

Of course, don't eat anything that you plant with these guys because I'm sure there are still toxins that aren't good that are within the food. But you never know!



There are many methods of disposing a fish's body but my favorite is definitely giving life to the once living.

Thank you!
The Young Adult's Club

No comments:

Post a Comment